I promised myself that when ‘it’ was all over, I would start looking after myself again. ‘It’ snowballed over the course of a year, and saw me stop looking after myself, I’ve gained quite a bit of weight due to poor diet, a lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and a lot of stress.
An email at 15.10 on Saturday confirmed it is definitely all over- signed, sealed and delivered.
I felt a need to step up to the mark. And thought I’d face my promise at the beginning- breakfast.
I am rubbish at breakfast, I’ll start the day with a cup of coffee, and when the hubby returns at 11am I’m hungry and happy to accept whatever is placed in front of me, usually jam on toast- which I was assured by my midwife was the perfect breakfast for me when I breastfeeding, six years ago. So, I guess not so great anymore.
And so, I’ve gone back to what I’d like to eat by preference, foods which will keep my energy levels stable, my breakfast of choice when working from home. Admittedly I might find myself eating at my desk rather than the kitchen table, but fingers crossed!
- 250g strawberries
- 125mls maple syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 300g rolled oats
- 50g wheatgerm
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- 100g chopped almonds
- 50g goji berries
- 100g dried mango, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees celsius (fan oven) or 150 degrees celsius.
- Place strawberries, maple syrup, honey and vanilla extract into a blender and blitz.
- Put all other ingredients, apart from the mango and goji berries, into a bowl and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Tip onto 2 baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and add mango and goji berries, bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.