If you follow my instagram account you’ll know I’m trying to improve my diet by introducing smoothies and overnight oats each day, focusing on my evening meal as predominately vegetables as the main element, with meat as a side.
I am trying to lose weight, but more importantly I’m trying to have a better diet, making choices which don’t feel like I’m going without, but supplementing with better choices.
One of the main difficulties is that chocolate keeps forever and my fruit and vegetables don’t, but rather than admit defeat I decided to look at different options.
With my overnight oats, the introduction of frozen berries has meant I’m never without my fruit topping, a pint of milk and a pot of no-fat yoghurt can last the week, and I can make my pots up in advance if I’m feeling organised.
Smoothies required a bit more thought, attractive looking smoothies are always welcomed by the little people, but I wanted to introduce good foods to my diet, so I’ve opted for the following ratios:
2 cups leafy greens
3 cups fruit
2 cups liquid
And used the equivalent of 50g/ 100mls = 1 cup, which is just my approach and does create a great mix.
The benefit of planning in this way is that you can stock up your freezer to ensure you have smoothies for the week and you won’t find any fruits or leaves which can only become waste.
As smoothies taste better a bit colder, by freezing the ingredients there’s no need to add ice.
The recipe below shows some of the variations I’ve been enjoying:
- 100g of leaves, such as spinach or kale
- 3x 50g of fruit, such as raspberries, strawberries, mango, pineapple, blueberries, and as equivalents, 1/2 banana, 1/2 avocado, 1 kiwi fruit.
- 200mls liquid, such as water, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water, yoghurt.
- As a meal supplement add either 50g oats or a spoonful of protein powder or nut butter.
- For added nutrition add a tablespoon of chia seeds or flax seeds.
- For added taste add cacao powder, cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla to taste.
- Add 1/2 frozen ingredients and liquid and blend until smooth.
- Add remain frozen ingredients and blend.
- Add dry ingredients to taste.