You know it’s definitely your birthday when it coincides with the new series of the Great British Bake Off. Not quite so great when you’re out celebrating with family and forget to set it to record.
When I found out the three challenges, it seemed it had to be Drizzle Cake.
I wanted to do something special, it is my birthday week after all, and after trying to figure out whether I could create a ‘thing’ from Prosecco Drizzle Cake, I decided to play it safe.
I thought about the flavours I’m loving lately. Coffee obviously. And then there’s the Mango and Lime which I keep buying from Tesco, Pret a Manger and Eat.
It was worth a try.
Actually it was worth two tries.
But second attempt was there. Scrummy.
- 3 medium eggs (establish weight)
- Equivalent weight in self raising flour
- Equivalent weight in caster sugar
- Equivalent weight in softened butter
- Finely grated zest of one lime
- Finely chopped medium mango
- 50g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius / Gas Mark 4
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and gradually add flour.
- Fold in mango and zest.
- Add mixture into lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown, springy to touch and coming away at edges.
- Remove from oven.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake with a skewer.
- Mix sugar and lime zest and gently heat in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over slightly cooled cake.
- Leave to cool fully, remove from tin.
And so here I am again, signing up to Mummy Mishap‘s Great Bloggers Bake Off challenges- definitely pop along and check out all of the fantastic bakes!