This year it’s clear from Facebook that everyone was geared up for the new series of the Great British Bake Off. And yes, it’s lovely to having to look forward to turning the tv on to watch.
And it didn’t take long for the need to bake to take hold, and to join in again with Jenny’s link up– the Return of the Great British Bloggers Bake Off 2015 style.
So, with lavender straight from my mum and dad’s garden, I decided to team my usual fruit filled recipes with a little extra.
It was lovely to be baking again with a few clues to judge my success from watching last night’s episode, I did a little happy dance as my single crack appeared, and whilst I’m thinking a little more lavender could probably have been included, I really appreciated the additional flavour- and even CM who “doesn’t like lemons” really like the cake because she “couldn’t taste the lemons just the pretty flowers”, hubby and I disagreed but if she’s going to help eat the cake, that’s all good.
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tsps lavender flowers
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 50g icing sugar
- 1tsp lavender flowers
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- Preheat the oven at 140 degrees celcius
- Cream the butter, sugar, lemon zest, and lavender flowers in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a seperate bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs to the wet mixture and combine, add a tablespoon of the flour mix if needed to prevent splitting.
- With the eggs combined, gradually fold in the flour mixture until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into a loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 60 minutes or until well risen and golden brown (ensure a skewer comes out clean).
- Leave on cooling rack, in tin to cool.
- Whilst cooling, add caster sugar and lemon juice to saucepan, and heat in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar is fully melted.
- Pour syrup over the cake and leave for a few minutes.
- Remove from tin and leave to cool fully.
- Mix icing sugar, lavender and lemon juice to create icing, drizzle over cake.